Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Art of Restraint

There have been few instances in my life where I have needed to use restraint. This evening was one of those times.

Whenever I get home in the evenings, I park near my apartment on the edge of the complex and walk towards the center to get my mail. Tonight was no different. As I walked towards the steps where the mailboxes are located, a car came barreling through the front gate apparently in pursuit of the handicapped loading zone that I was walking across. This "lovely individual" wanted to park her car there because she is too lazy to park a few feet away in a real space.

I continued on and was pulling the last of my mail out when this "lovely individual" walked up and in all of her older, much wiser glory said, "Do you have any idea how close I came to hitting you just now, literally?" I glanced up at her a bit incredulously, glad my hands were occupied by mail and keys. I clamped down hard on my tongue because the first thing that came to mind was, "Do YOU realize how close I am to hitting you right now, literally?"

I am definitely not violent, I would never even think of hitting someone else, tonight I came close. But I am also able to slay with my tongue. The next thing that popped into my head was, "Is the reason that you had to have the handicapped spot because you are blind?" It was growing dark outside but I wasn't dressed in all black, in fact I had khaki pants on and was carrying a rather large white tote bag on my shoulder that was facing toward the gate.

At that point I figured there was nothing productive (or polite) that I could have said to her so I shut my mailbox, turned on my heal and walk right by her. As I rounded the corner I heard her murmur, "That's right, keep on walking." OOO mean things in me were fighting to come out but I just kept on walking. I realize that it isn't very polite to ignore someone but in this case I had to bite my tongue like nobody's business.

One consolation was that Brandon said he was proud of me for not rising and that he doesn't know that he could have held his tongue. At least my husband loves me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment