Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Next Step

Brandon has been tested and we know there are infertility issues with him. His doctor suggested trying IUI and after consultation with my doctor she suggested the same thing. So before consulting a reproductive endocrinologist, my general fertility has to be checked first. Months ago I submitted CD3 blood tests and my levels were normal. Today I was subjected to a hysterosalpingogram or HSG. (say that 5 times fast) I was not looking forward to it. A similar procedure was attempted several years ago and they were not able to complete it.

A HSG is a test where they thread a catheter with a small balloon on the end into the uterus then push dye through to see if there are any abnormalities in the uterus and fallopian tubes while using fluoroscopy (continuous x-ray) to capture images.

Many share horror stories but few share their not so horrible stories. Mine was not too bad. I was not able to take any prophylactic pain reliever because I am not supposed to take aspirin, ibuprofen, or Aleve due to intestinal problems. The prep for the test was not a big deal, no different than a pap smear and I didn't feel any discomfort. The doctor performing the test was very kind in that he explained everything he was doing and announced before he went to the next step. Once he started pushing the dye through I began to feel bad cramps. The nurse was very supportive telling me to breath deeply and squeeze her hand if I needed to. Just when I was thinking I couldn't endure the cramps the test was over. The test was so quick because I had no blockages, everything appears to be normal. Good news. I have been experiencing cramping since but nothing I can't handle without pain medications.

Now the next step is getting a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist. We have plenty of questions including, will IUI be effective with male factor infertility or is it a waste of time? How much will the cost be? My doctor said a single cycle would cost $300 but I know the costs can vary depending on use of ultrasound and the like. We are very close to being out of debt. Our insurance does not pay for ANY infertility treatment so we will have to wait until we are out of debt and can save the money for it.

This process has been far more exhausting then I ever anticipated and we haven't gotten very far yet. It is emotionally draining which leads to physical exhaustion. We have so many options to consider, what we will and won't do. Even if we don't understand it all, God is in control. Whatever happens, whether we have biological children, if we are able to adopt, or if we have no children, will be to the glory of God. We can't possibly know and understand the plans He has for us yet, and even though it is hard sometimes, we have to trust in Him.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck with everything! You have an amazing attitude. No matter what happens, your life is great, and the Lord is obviously blessing you. Congratulations on the dwindling debt, too!

    ReplyDelete