Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thinking: Dangerous, I Know

I have had a lot of time with my thoughts recently. I have so many things floating around in my head on a daily basis, sometimes it is exhausting. Getting it all out whether verbally or through writing usually just sends me rambling, but I will try.

Life is complicated, confusing, still so much a mystery. This isn't anything new, I know. People often talk about a longing for 'simpler' times. But did our parents, grandparents, great-grandparent, and ancestors think their times were simple?

We have all kinds of modern conveniences that make our lives a lot easier. The medical advances in our time alone are astounding. Yet, doctors still sometimes can't figure out for years what eventually turns out to be an easily curable or minor ailment. And people rage that they haven't found a cure for cancer yet. We have come so far but there are still things in life we will never be able to fully understand.

Our health care system is severely broken. Many can't afford it, some go without. Insurance companies play God. It will take a lot of time and research to fix it, no one person has all the answers. It will take the collective part of many minds to figure this one out.

The media forecasts doom and gloom. They say we are in the worst times ever... They thrive on fear. What's really going on around us? There is a recession, but I'm not participating in the fear. So many expect the government to wave a magic wand and fix all our problems instantly, but they are human like the rest of us. Quick fixes don't happen, it will take time to get back on our feet. We can't forget our hope and faith.

Many don't like the president our country elected. One of the greatest freedom's we have is our right to vote and have an opinion. No president ever wins a popularity contest, they face difficult decisions and will make many mistakes along the way. But they are human like the rest of us, not perfect. Our current president, every president, deserves our respect for the job of leading our country. So we don't always agree 100%, that's our freedom and our choice, pouting won't change it.

There is corruption among some politicians. This isn't anything new, it isn't relegated to either major party. Corruption has gone on since time began and will continue. If you make a mistake, own up to it. It's OK to admit you did something wrong. Take your medicine and get on with your life.

Huge companies are failing, falling into bankruptcy. Some of them are standing in line holding out their hand. When any of us mess up in life, we have to face the consequences, pick up the pieces and learn from our mistakes. Giving them all handouts isn't always the best answer. Sometimes you have to fail to become better.

I guess my point is that life is never simple. So much is going on around us. Can we be happy with our lives despite the turmoil? Of course. We have the love of our families and friends. And we have many blessings regardless our station in life. Some of the most impoverished people are the happiest people on earth. Some of the wealthiest people on earth are them most cranky, unhappy people you will ever meet.

There is so much we don't know and may never know. But we can strive to learn as much as we can while we are here. We can keep open hearts and minds. The world is always changing and we are creatures of habit. But we can embrace the changes that happen along the way.

I am grateful for my life. I am blessed to be a part of this world. Life is very difficult at times, but it is wonderful at times. I don't have all the answers and I can't always find the words to fully convey what I believe. But I can always keep trying.

1 comment:

  1. I think that I agree with you wholeheartedly on everything. I think you've conveyed yourself quite well.

    ReplyDelete