Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Hits Keep Coming

As we drove home Sunday night after spending a day in Brenham with family I remember thinking all I wanted was to go home and snuggle up with Brandon and get a good night's sleep. We had had a rough week before, what with doctor's appointments, taking my grandmother to the ER not once but twice including the night before, and getting up early because Brandon had soundboard duties at church that morning.

Alas, it wasn't to be.

When we drove past the backside of our apartment I noticed the porch light was on. That made me a little nervous, we never leave that light on. My mind wandered a bit, thinking someone had broken in. I always tell Brandon that I don't fear for the theft of our belongings, I just worry that they will let our cat (who is declawed and thus, defenseless) out to get lost.

We cautiously unlocked and opened the door and I noticed immediately that furniture had been moved. We turned on the light to find our apartment turned upside down. I had joked earlier that our apartment looked like a bomb went off. Through all the craziness of the preceding week I hadn't been able to pick up or finish folding several loads of laundry. When we got home my joke looked like reality. Things were moved, our stuff was thrown all over the place. And most strange, 80% of our carpet was missing!?!?!

I did a quick check for the cats. I found the new cat still holed up in the bathroom looking bewildered but then my worst fear flooded over me, I couldn't find Chu! I must admit I went a little batty. I called my sister to help calm me down. About 10 minutes later a harried looking cat squeezed out from under the couch, meowing pitifully.

Meanwhile, Brandon kept his cool and called the answering service. He was given the number for the manager, called her and demanded to know what had happened.

Around 6pm or so a water main blew right outside our bedroom window. The water was shooting at our's and our neighbor's window and somehow made its way inside to flood both our apartments. Another neighbor called to notify the answering service and maintenance came 15 minutes later. They came into our (and the next door neighbor's) home and moved as much of our stuff off the wet carpet then removed the carpet as quickly as possible. Thank God for them, they saved nearly all of our stuff.

Some of our furniture has minor water damage on the bottom but no one but us can probably tell. Luckily our bed which is right by the window was not a bit wet. The worst damage was to Brandon's college computer science textbooks and class notes. There were 4 cardboard boxes full under the bed. We ended up having to take 3 boxes worth to the recycling center. He felt like he was losing an arm.

Needless to say we didn't get to bed until after 1am. We sorted through as much as we could, laundered wet clothes, unburied and made up the bed, and tried to get some sleep. I tossed and turned all night long.

Monday was spent going through boxes, packing up, and trying to clean up as much as possible. When they pulled up the carpet, years worth of dust and dirt was distributed throughout the air and over much of the furniture. Not a good mix for someone with allergies. I was miserable. We made arrangements with my parents to keep Chu for a few days because it had become impossible to keep Chu and and still sick Midna separated from each other.

In the midst of the nightmare we came home to, we noticed Midna's eye was red and oozing. Can cats get pink eye? Apparently so. (Sigh) I looked up and found that cat's indeed can develop pink eye after upper respiratory infection and if left untreated might cause blindness. So Tuesday morning I called to schedule yet another appointment with the vet.

Tuesday morning we woke up to go talk to management about their plans to fix the floors and walls. They told us we could expect hardwood floors to replace the carpet in the living room and carpet wouldn't be installed until Wednesday because the supplier was waiting on a shipment. They also have to repaint our bedroom to cover the water damaged areas. We get all the benefits of moving without changing our address.

We are grateful. As is life, it could have been much, much worse.

1 comment:

  1. When I first started reading this I assumed you had been robbed. I'm also glad you found Chu. That had to have been the worst part of the ordeal until you found him.

    ReplyDelete