Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jumping the Gun

As we were walking through the grocery store over a week ago Brandon was incredulous that the seasonal aisle was fully stocked with Halloween stuff. I blew it off, not surprising to me, that's just what they do.

I did 'snort' however, as I drove past the shopping village down the street today. Workers were hard at work installing Christmas lights in the long rows of palm trees. I realize retail establishments are probably anticipating revenues from Christmas shopping after such a hard year but come on! Isn't September a little too early for Christmas decorations? I haven't even put my fall wreath on the door yet.

It instantly brought to mind a frequent dream I have. In the dream it's Christmas Eve night and I have just realized that I didn't do any Christmas shopping. It leaves me with that anxious, choked feeling in my throat. What is wrong with me? Maybe it's that we have such a large family and I always want to give gifts that people actually like and will use/enjoy regularly. Maybe it's because gifts are last on my list of love languages and I believe gifts are the least important part of Christmas.

Whatever my problem, I don't need the extra pressure.

1 comment:

  1. That is definitely an anxiety dream! I agree that it is way too early for Christmas! Fall is way too nice of a time to miss!

    ReplyDelete