Monday, October 19, 2009

Sadness

My heart is breaking for my sister-in-law and her family. They had to let her mother go. It was sudden. She was supposed to get well, not worse. She was too young. She was their rock. Always thinking of others before herself. Her smile lit up the room. Her kindness and compassion will live on in Jessica.

When I found out things were not looking good I drove to the hospital to offer my support. I didn't know what else to do but I felt like I needed to be there. If I was in the same situation I would want Jessica there with me. I lent an ear, a shoulder. I walked the halls. I prayed. I ran out of words so I prayed the same thing over and over.

It was so hard to watch them go through all that. They know she is in a better place, a place where she no longer suffers. They know they will see her again. But that doesn't always make the grief easier.

1 comment:

  1. Grief for those of who believe is hard to explain. While we know that our loved one is far better off now, we grieve what we have lost with that person.

    Also, I think it's even harder to watch someone you care about suffer from grief. I never really know what to do - what to say because I've been there, and nerves are so raw anything can be taken in any way. Sometimes just the silent being there and the prayers are the best suppor.t

    ReplyDelete