Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Real Thinking

"The reality is that most people don't think; they only rearrange their prejudices. Real thinking can be disruptive to the status quo and requires a great deal of courage." -Will Mancini

I'm currently participating in the Church Unique visioning process with staff members and other leaders at church. While reading the material the above quote really stuck out to me. On a personal level, Ouch!! How often do I not think at all because I'm just too busy with this or that? How often do I just push the thoughts and feelings aside and think, I will deal with them later? I need to stop doing this.

I'm supposed to be working on my "homework" for my role as the journalist. I need to write something to report to the congregation what this process is and what we hope to gain from it over the next several months. But life keeps getting in the way and the thoughts rolling around in my head on the subject won't come together. Story of my life lately. I realize that's not an excuse, I agreed to take this role on (with apprehension, I might add) and I must fulfill my duties.

On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book, not only is it helping to unravel some perceptions about the church but I am also finding some good tidbits to employ in personal life as well. It hasn't been an easy read. I began reading, eyes "went cross", started over, still wasn't internalizing anything and began a 3rd time before things started to sink in. I look forward to continuing the journey as it is helping me better connect with and really dig deeper to serve the church and community in the best possible way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment