Saturday, June 30, 2012

Swim/Survival Lessons

I have been looking into starting swim lessons with Madeline. I want her to start learning as soon as possible. The more she knows, the safer she will be around water. And I know it's a little crazy but I don't want her using floaties or other swim aides that are worn because they would teach her to rely on an unnatural position in the water not conducive to swimming and they are a false sense of security.

So, when a friend mentioned ISR lessons and what they do, it was a little hard for me to believe. They go beyond just getting babies and toddlers comfortable with water. They teach babies 6 to 12 months how to turn over and float independently on their backs until help arrives. Over 12 months, they also teach them to swim to the side and wait for help. My skepticism vanished and my eyes began to mist while I watched the amazing videos of these tiny little creatures using survival skills all on their own.

The lessons entail going for 10 minute lessons, 5 days a week for 7 weeks or so. At the end of her lessons she will have to demonstrate her skills fully clothed in both summer and winter clothes.

But there's the cost. It's really expensive. I understand why the cost is high due to the training, insurance and medical assessments. And there is only one instructor in a 20 mile radius of where we live. So she charges more than the instructors I found in the suburbs. And we might have to wait for availability. But can I really put a price on Madeline's safety?

We live in a city that has a high incidence of child drownings. We also live in an apartment complex that has open streams and ponds as well as a gated pool. Madeline is already able to open our front door if it isn't locked, though we always keep it locked she is very close to being able to unlock the deadbolt. She is nearly always supervised while in our living room but it could only take a moment of me putting the laundry away or going to the bathroom.

So I guess in the meantime of saving for the ISR lessons and waiting for availability I need to continue looking into some actual swim lessons for her. I don't want to do the Mommy and Me type class that just gets her into the water for fun, she already does that with us, we don't need to pay for the privilege. I want her comfortable with the water but also have the ability to save herself should she ever be in a situation that would require it.

No comments:

Post a Comment